Can I get reimbursement for 2 shipments from 2 different Chinese factories that contained very high percentages of reject products? Both containers were fully paid for including freight and customs. Going forward, we are interested in a QC program in China to avoid these issues.
Unfortunately, I get a lot of emails from buyers in similar predicaments to your situation. Here are some recent posts from my blog that outline your options. I hope you find them useful.
- Resolving a dispute: Demand letters and legal options
- Faulty products have ruined our reputation. What should we do?
- learn from this foreigner buyer’s experience with Chinese courts
- China’s Legal System
In summary, you have a decent chance of recovering losses if you have a clear contract and the seller listed on that contract matches the bank account which received your funds. Many more tips and strategies given in the 4 links above. You can find the 4 articles and many more by doing a keyword search of “lawsuit” or “legal options” at www.ChinaSourcingInfo.org
I am glad you are considering 3rd party QC for future orders. Here are some companies for your reference, if you would like a personal introduction, I would be happy to put you in touch with their management.
- www.AsiaQualityFocus.com (AQF) specialize in inspections and auditing of factories.
- www.PSSchina.com (the company I founded many years ago) compliments the services of AQF by providing day to day vendor coordination services.
- If you feel the relationship with this supplier is worth trying to salvage, US owned- China based www.SouthernPerspectiveSZ.com provides a dispute resolution service similar to a marriage counselor.
- If you are feed up with this supplier and have no desire to do business with them again, as mentioned in the articles above, you may want to get a local lawyer involved to issue demand letters and litigate if necessary to recover your funds.
BTW, for my reference, how did you initially find this suppliers? I have had good luck using the verified suppliers from www.GlobalSources.com
As this supplier has done you wrong, please consider letting me post their name and your story to the supplier black list I am creating. In this fashion, we can warn other buyers.
Thanks again for your questions and wishing you successful sourcing. Please let me know how things develop on your project. Hoping I have helped in some way to get you pointed in the right direction.
Wishing you successful China sourcing!
Question answered by Mike Bellamy, host of “Ask the Experts” at the China Sourcing Information Center.
Mike Bellamy is an Advisory Board Member & Featured Blogger at the not-for-profit China Sourcing Information Center (www.ChinaSourcingInfo.org). He is also the author of, “The Essential Reference Guide to China Sourcing” (chinasourcinginfo.org/book) and founder of PassageMaker Sourcing Solutions (www.PSSchina.com)