Process for the registration of a design patent in China
- Search the government database to ensure the IP is not already registered by another party.
- Organize the technical translations and prepare all documents.
- Submit documents to relevant bureaus. Having received the files, the authorities will formally accept the application if they deem the application forms filled out properly.
- Follow the application and update client as the application moves through the various bureaus. After formal review, National Copyright Bureau will issue “Registration Certificate” to applications that comply with registration conditions. Upon issuance of certificate, it will be publicly announced that the copyright has been officially registered. At this point the IP is protected at a national level.
Documents required by the lawyer from client
- 3-D drawing (usually CAD file)
- Copy of indent documents/ address of the applicant
- If the IP has been registered outside of China, please provide the details for our reference.
Next in the series
IP Registration: Design Patents (Time Frame & Typical Fees) (Part 9)
IP Registration: Utility Patents (Application Process & Documents Required) (Part 10)
IP Registration: Utility Patents (Time Frame & Typical Fees) (Part 11)
IP Registration: Invention Patents (Application Process & Documents Required) (Part 12)
IP Registration: Invention Patents (Time Frame & Typical Fees) (Part 13)
Contracts & Purchase Orders (Part 14)
Dispute Resolution: Introduction & Process (Negotiations, Demand Letters & Litigation) (Part 15)
Dispute Resolution: Fee Structure (Negotiations, Demand Letters & Litigation) (Part 16)
Having a lawyer on retainer: Costs and Coverage (Part 17)
About the author: Mike Bellamy
Advisory Board Member & Featured Blogger at the not-for-profit China Sourcing Information Center (www.ChinaSourcingInfo.org). Author of “The Essential Reference Guide to China Sourcing” and founder of PassageMaker Sourcing Solutions.